Saturday, April 4, 2009

Girls, Girls, Girls...

I took a nice girl out on a nice date last night. 'Twas the first date I've gone on in several months. Truth is, since I moved to L.A. last September I haven't met any women (in L.A.) I've even considered dating. Actually that's not entirely true; there was one waitress in Hollywood that I gave my number to, but in our first text-versation she weirded me out so much that it became the last text-versation we ever had. Granted, it's not like I've been "on the scene" very often... or even at all. I work most weekends and my hitting up the town is done only on rare occasion. When I do, it's almost never at hip and trendy "hot spots" and it's usually with certain female best friends with whom I have somewhat of a history. I've found that, for some strange reason, these girls serve as terrible wingmen!

For a guy who bounced from long-term relationship to long-term relationship to yet another long-term relationship for six-and-a-half years, I've been very un-Dylan-like of late. I've been accused in the past of constantly seeking validation from women. I do admit that for many years this was not inaccurate. I have, however, improved upon this character flaw quite a bit over the last several months, I think.

L.A. has reminded me just how overly picky I can be when it comes to women - indeed, almost Seinfeld-esque at times. I often find myself searching for shortcomings to justify my not being interested (i.e. "Well, she's cool and really cute but too immature/we don't have anything in common/her attitute bothers me/her second toe is longer than her big toe, etc...") Though there have been a few occasions in my life in which I've met a girl who gave me absolutely no reason to not want to ask her out, no matter how hard I tried to find one. A girl that stimulates me so profoundly (and I'm not talking sexually) that she begins to constantly penetrate my thoughts in such a way that I become completely infatuated. Unfortunately, be it 'cause of fate or just plain ol' bad luck, it has never quite worked out with any of the girls of which I speak.

So yeah, I finally went on a date and had a great time. Who knows? Maybe I'll even go on another one some time soon. I presently feel no "quarter-life crisis" compelling me to go out and find that "certain someone" before it's too late! ...but I am eager for more conversations like the one I had last night at Harney Sushi (best sushi place ever, by the way.) Now what's with these darn sort-of boyfriends? Because for Dylan it sort-of sucks! Hahaha.

***As a completely unrelated side note, Neil Young's "Hey, hey, my, my (Into the Black)" just came on the radio and made me very very happy***

No comments:

Post a Comment